Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Punch, Punch, Elbow, Elbow

I've recently started going to kickboxing class at the gym, thanks to the friendly encouragement of the instructor, Tony (who Kelly and I subsequently nicknamed "Tony the Assasin"). Fortunately, our regular trainer, Michael White, thought it would be a good class to mix in with our other workouts.

This is by far the hardest workout I've ever done in the gym. The class lasts an hour, with 10 minutes tagged on at the end for ab work.

The routine goes something like this:

-bow to the instructor
-100 jumping jacks
-30 pushups on your knuckles
-20 side kicks from each leg
-20 roundhouse kicks from each leg
-leg stretches
-bring your leg to your ear and hold it
-balancing
-finger stretches
-30 more pushups
-"the splits"
-some more stuff I don't remember, because I have to recover from the splits.

THEN, you put your gloves on and depending upon what level you are you work on that for 30 minutes. I've gone to class five times and I am still working on my punching and elbowing. (Punch left, punch right, punch left, punch right, elbow, elbow, knee.) All around me people are practicing kicking the crap out of bags, and I want to do that too, but Tony says I need to get the punching and elbowing down first. Today he had me hit as rapidly and as hard as I could for a minute at a time.

At the end of class, the students take over for the ab work:
-100 crunches
-50 leg lifts
-50 side crunches (each side)
-50 push ups
-Bow to the instructor

And then you die are super psyched that you did the workout!

No comments: